Connecting People and Building Resilient
Community: It's a Two Way Street
New Horizons Thrift, Vintage & Collectibles Store
New Horizons is a place to get great deals on quality used clothing and household items, meet your neighbours, and build community.
The Store is located at 520 James St. N in Hamilton. The phone number is 905-529-6891. Stop by to shop, visit, and/or volunteer, and check back regularly for new highlights and specials!
Monday to Saturday, 10 am – 5 pm
New Horizons Thrift, Vintage & Collectibles Store Vision:
To offer an alternative shopping experience that is accessible, affordable and environmentally responsible. To be a community place where people of all backgrounds gather to shop, gain work skills, and develop relationships.
New Horizons Thrift Store had its beginnings at Welcome Inn Community Centre in the late 1970’s and later became its own charity. In January 2008 Welcome Inn took ownership of the store with a vision to restore this community gem. Many people in the community helped restore this store and the doors opened to the public in April 2008.
Goals of New Horizons:
- Provide an alternative shopping experience that is accessible, affordable and environmentally responsible.
- Provide an opportunity for meaningful volunteer work in an environment where job skills can be learned and demonstrated.
- Provide a friendly environment where people of all backgrounds gather to shop, develop skills, and meaningful relationships with each other.
- Reduce the amount of waste in landfill by accepting donations of items to be re-sold.
- To re-invest the proceeds from the store back into the north end community through the programs and services of Welcome Inn Community Centre.
Donations are gratefully accepted inside the store, during store hours. Please help us to ensure that no donations are left outside of the store at any point.
Items most frequently needed:
- Clothing – Men’s, Women’s, Children’s
- Shoes and Boots
- Bedding and Towels
- New/gently used toys
- Cooking utensils, pots and pans
- Home décor – lamps, pictures, etc.
- Vintage & Collectible Items
We are looking for folks who would be interested in running a donation drive for us. If you know of a group who might be interested, please contact Suzanne @ 905-529-6891.
Our WISH LIST:
- warm adult & children’s clothing
- towels, bedding, table cloths, placemats, blankets
- books & magazines
- household items – dishes, glasses, small kitchen appliances, pots & pans
- puzzles, games, children’s toys
- C.D’s, DVD’s, Records, Computer games
- craft supplies, wool, knitting needles, patterns and material
- knick knacks
- pictures & picture frames
- small electronics that are in working order
We are unable to accept: furniture, mattresses, pillows or large appliances. If you are not sure about a donation, feel free to give us a call at the store @ 905-529-6891. We would be happy to clarify.
New Horizons has a really fun, creative and hard working volunteer team. The store is completely operated by volunteers. Volunteers are always needed and appreciated. We are always looking for folks to join us.
- Receiving donations
- Sorting and pricing clothing
- Making displays
- Assisting customers
- General Maintenance.
No experience is necessary. We provide on the job training and support. We welcome students who are looking for a spot to contribute and gain their community hours.
Drop by in Person
New Horizons Thrift Store is located at 520 James Street North, on the east side of James Street between Picton and Ferrie. There is parking for customers at the front of the store.
Monday to Saturday,
10 am – 5 pm